Monday, December 28, 2009

Not me Monday (and it's only Tuesday)


UPDATE:  I am NOT reusing my post from last week that I worked on for a whole week and didn't remember to post until almost midnight last Monday.  

Here are a few short additions from this past week:

I did NOT break the beater for the hand mixer making peanut butter cookies.
I did NOT order the wrong size chair cover for Tobi's chair fully embroidered with her name making unreturnable.
I did NOT get a little teary hearing Tobi say "Daddy, I love you!" totally unsolicited when Ben got her up the other day.

OK, I did but I think that's worth a little emotion!

ORIGINAL POST:

PART 1

I am NOT starting this post on Tuesday because I had so many things happen just since yesterday that I needed to get them off my chest already. 

I did NOT hear a horrible grinding noise when I turned on the disposal to clear out the sitting water in the sink only to discover that one of my husbands knives..the knives that I often get in trouble for not taking care of properly...had fallen into the disposal and now had a chewed up handle and a bent blade.  Oh my goodness...of all the things to fall down into the disposal...why this?  I have already NOT chewed up several pieces of silverware and a glass in the disposal on previous occasions.  Good thing because that would mean I was careless and never learn my lesson!  Yikes. (The picture below is of an undamaged handle...)


I did NOT accidentally snip the clothing of the brand new baby doll Ben bought for Tobi (before we even gave it to her) because of my ingenious idea to snip most of the wires holding the baby in the box before wrapping it.  I was jut imagining opening the baby and Tobi having a fit while we tried to get the doll out of the packaging...so I was just being proactive and I felt quite proud of myself for my great forethought.  Why didn't I just leave well enough alone???


I did NOT find a significant gouge in our supposedly indestructible laminate floor.  And if I did find a gouge while trying to wipe up a large spill on the floor, I am sure I could NOT have been the cause of the gouge because I am never careless and let things drop on the floor and I am sure I would have discovered it right away because I clean the floor so frequently not just when there is a spill.

I have not had to pick up the mail box off the ground to get the mail several days this week since the post it rests on was so rusted that it only took one good storm and a little pressure from the plow to completely knock it over.  We did NOT just prop it up in the snow because the ground is too frozen to even think about putting up the new one (that we have had in our garage for over a year).



PART 2 (Sunday afternoon)

I am NOT writing this while sitting in line in the truck waiting to see if we can get on the ferry off the island.   We spent Christmas with Ben's family on an island in Maine which is only accessible by ferry...which apparently can't operate if the wind is above 30 knots.  I am NOT anxious about this because if this ferry is canceled then it will be madness trying to get off the island tomorrow and it would mean unpacking everything we just loaded onto the truck.  This would mean we would be late to my family's Christmas celebration.  (update: Canceled ferry and our trip has been postponed until Monday...and I did NOT have a personal pity party complete with tears when we saw the cars turning around confirming that in fact the ferry was not going to make the trip that day.)


Oh and let's just go back a few days while I am sitting here waiting....or NOT waiting, I mean.
I did NOT break out in crazy hives all over my cheeks and chest last week for some still unknown reason.  And if I had my husband would surely NOT have looked at my face and said, "Ewwww, that looks really bad."  (There is no accompanying picture with this!)

I was certainly NOT awake making up candy packets and wrapping gifts at 2:30 am since we had to be up at 4:00 am to make the 9:00 am ferry to get ON the island on Christmas day.  And then I am glad to say I did NOT come down with a nasty cold on Christmas day due to my complete lack (as in ZERO minutes) of sleep the night before!

Despite all the things that did NOT happen this past week we DID have a truly lovely Christmas celebration with our families.  Thankfully the silly little things that happen to us and perhaps cause a little embarrassment and/or inconvenience are somehow lost in the true reason for why we have been celebrating at all.  Jesus, God born as a babe, lived among us and then paid the ultimate sacrifice...he gave his own life so that we might have forgiveness and eternal life.  Now compared to that...what are a few bumps on your face and a missed ferry ride anyway???

3 comments:

The Mangin Family said...

I love your "Not me Monday" posts because I still think I am a mini-Shauna. I totally understand the knife in the sink thing... Eric doesn't understand that It's not that I'm not thinking, it's just not the way my brain (or yours for that matter) works! :) I'm so glad you had a nice Christmas!
Oh and this is TMI, but I've had mysterious hives/rash for 2 weeks now! Thank heavens for Benadryl!
Love ya!

Jenna said...

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I don't feel like any week is over until I have destroyed some utensil in the garbage disposal. It's a regular occurance around here......

SO sorry you got stuck on the island. I'm glad you didn't let it ruin your Christmas, but I know how hard that must have been. I wouldn't have taken that as well as you did, i'm sure!!!

Confessions From A Work-At-Home Mom said...

I alllllways manage to get things stuck in the garbage disposal. Bottle tops, binkies, the occasional fork and knife, even my wedding ring at one point, although not when it was on. We've only been in our house 3 years, and we're on our second disposal!!

~Elizabeth
Confessions From A Working Mom