Wednesday, April 28, 2010

87 Grove Avenue

This is the house my Grandpa built about 60 years ago.  This is the house where my dad grew up.  This is the house where I have so many special childhood memories.  Most of my holidays were spent here.  I would guess we traveled to Cranston about once a month...sometimes more, sometimes less...for most of my growing up years.  I spent every Christmas here that I can remember.  I spent almost every Thanksgiving around the table in this dining room.  I can recall many shows that my brother/ cousins/ friends and I put on in this house for the entertainment/torture of many an adult.  It seems strange to even start recalling all the memories because it was such an integral part of my life into my adult years.

Eleven years ago this month Grandpa B. passed away.  About a year and a half ago my Grandma B. had  a stroke and has since not been able to live in this house.  This month (barring any last minute glitches) the house will belong to someone else for the first time.  I'm so glad the house sold and that there is someone to buy it who will appreciate the uniqueness of this house but it is always hard to let something go that holds so many special memories.

It's not the house that is hard to let go of...I have been there but a few times in the past few years.  It is what it represents.  Everyone who has lived here, stayed here, visited here, ate here, celebrated here...we all have our own special memories of this place.

These are the memories of
the youth group that met in the basement for many years,
the extended family that came for many a Christmas Eve, birthday party, bridal/ baby shower,
the church members that have held meetings and gatherings in the living room,
the many many guests from near, far and very far who have dined at the dining room table,
the wife and mother who raised a family, entertained, showered hospitality to friends, family and strangers,
the 4 boys who grew up in this place and who called it home, each with their own bed still in it's place,
the grandchildren who have had a story read, built a fort, been pulled around in a cardboard box, played ping pong in the basement, slept on a cot or on a foam mat between two built-in beds,
and we who have walked into the kitchen to be greeted with bear hug (even if it meant having your head pressed against the pocket with the glasses in it).

These are just the surface of the memories that have been flooding my mind as I remember...

This house has been a resting place for the weary, for those who had no place to go.
This place has provided food for many who needed it.
This house has held fellowship for any who desired it.
This house was crafted with love and commitment.

Many drive by this place and see a green single level house with white shutters...but this house has always been and will always be much more than the materials it was made from.  I'm glad that when the house sells the memories don't have to get packed up with the boxes.  I'm so thankful for all the wonderful memories I have here and for the love that I feel when I think about all the time spent here in these walls.

5 comments:

Bethany @ Our 4 Sons Plus 1...Super Cute Girly Girl said...

What a sweet way to remember and honor such a special place! Beautiful post.

Anonymous said...

Written with heart (and a very clear memory for detail!) We're all so connected to this place that it's hard to believe that the era is coming to an end in a way...Only wish I could have been out there to help clean and get things organized and be able to be in the house one more time. That's the weirdest part for me...knowing that I will never go back to this place I where I spent so many happy times as a child and young adult. But the next place where we'll see grandpa again will be worlds better! Love to you! Kjersti

"thatrinda" said...

beautifully written, shauna...we were just looking at it when grandma popped up on i-chat, so we sent her a copy of it,
your blog is really fun...i don't do very well at keeping up on people's blogs, but i'm going to start looking at yours regularly.
dean says tobi is starting to look like mommy when she was that age!!!
see ya soon, "christopher's other mother" !!

pella said...

Shauna ~ so lovely! What a special place & bittersweet to pack away that home! Such a treat to take a peek at these precious memories. Blessings!

harmonysong said...

What wonderful memories you will always have. Now it is time for another family to begin their memories there. I imagine it is very difficult to have to let go, but you'll always have the stories to tell Tobi, the pictures to remember, and now you have a home of your own to treasure memories from. :)