Monday, May 11, 2009

My First Mother's Day

We had a great weekend visiting with our families and celebrating motherhood (Flickr pics). I did get a mother's day card last year since I already was taking care of our little one while she was camping out in my belly...but this year is extra special! I love being a mommy to this little one!
There are so many things you "know" are true about what it means to be a mom, but there is a whole new depth of appreciation this year in me now that I am experiencing it from this side of things. As I spend the day taking care of Tobi, I find myself thinking so often of my own mom and all that she did for me...all the feeding, changing, caring, loving, singing, crying, laughing, cooking, cleaning, playing, doting, teaching, listening, kissing, hugging, consoling, encouraging, inspiring, modeling, mentoring, praying ( and the list goes on and on....). It is so real..this bond mother to child...so immediate and deep. I am so completely devoted to the well being of this little one...I look at the world differently now. I see the world through the eyes of a mom...how will any of this and all this matter or affect my child? There is hardly a decision I make in my day that she is not a consideration in it...and although there are certain sacrifices to be made because of that, I can't think of anything that I have given up that compares to the joy I receive from her. I am so thankful this day that I too am among those who call themselves moms.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think we were updating blogs at the same time! It gets more and more special I think...love seeing Tobi's dress and thinking "I'll have my little girl in one next Mother's Day"...that is enough to make me smile:)

harmonysong said...

Beautiful post, Shauna! I am so happy you have little Tobi! Glad you enjoyed your Mother's Day!

Jenna said...

Happy Mother's Day!

Tobi's dress is adorable- love the pictures!